Reading with Children
Kathleen Yeung / Educator
Experienced in teaching psychology and learning technique for children. Yeung also writes psychology column for a children magazine as well as a series of children books about infant's mentality and children growth. As a mother with two children, a son and a daughter, she always enjoys reading with her children as well as the volunteer of the parents and children reading club at her district, while believes that reading with children is the most happiest family time.
Why do we need 'Reading with Children"?
The most important point for "Reading with Children" is doing it "Together". "Reading with Children" is the wonderful time of close interaction and communication between parents and children. Parents can share and experience with the children during the interaction, while children also receive their parents' language, emotions and thoughts.
How to choose appropriate books for our children?
Choose the "appropriate one" is the most important.
1. Choose the books according to the children's development, such as action, cognitive ability, language and emotion, etc.
2. Consider the size, material, content, image, and text in the books.
How to inspire our children at different age stages through reading?
"Letting the children to read is like opening a window for them, allowing them to see further, feel the life wider."
Educate children's curiosity and exploration spirit through reading, to promote their potential development:
1. Capability Development: Assist children's intelligence and language development.
2. Mentality Development: Educate children on value, ethics, emotion and mentality development.
How to arouse children's interest towards reading, while they refuse to do so?
"Reading for fun, and fun for reading". Parents could try to create a "Happy reading" through the following ways - A game which connect wordings, images and related knowledge with children.
1. Books are fun to play with: Let the children to touch and flip the books made with different textures.
2. Images are fun to look at: Guide the children to observe the relationship and difference of the colours, patterns and images.
3. Stories are fun to listen: Let the children to participate reading through reading aloud, telling story, Q&A or role play.
4. Details are fun to discuss: Chat with children about the details of the stories and understand their thoughts.
5. Close to life: Extend the activities which connected book contents and life experience. (For examples, to visit the place or do the activity which mentioned in the books)
Why do we choose "LITTLE EYES"?
New born babies feel scared about the surroundings. While parents flipping the graphic cards with triangles, circles and squares, they could observe their children's responses and interests, and thus get to know about the world together. The author, Katsumi Komagata, designed the “LITTLE EYES” series graphic card books based on his own experience as parent. By considering different point of views and angles of lights and shadows, it stimulates children's imagination through papers, colours and shapes simply. Making use of sharp colours and shapes becomes Komagata’s style.
How to make use of "LITTLE EYES" to inspire and guide our children?
"See" the world with children, “LITTLE EYES" series includes black and white graphic cards designed for 3-month-old newborn babies, and colour animal picture books for up to 2-year-old children to develop their cognitive abilities. It is suitable for the needs during the growth and development of the young children. Parents could base on the above elements of "Happy reading" and let the children to understand the world via five senses (hearing, sight, touch, smell and taste), through observation and games with the graphic cards and picture books, as well as the progressive interaction and questioning, to enhance the communication between parents and children.